Sunday 7 October 2012

Enough of Dogs, What about the Vollies?

Thou the purpose of this blog is mainly to record down the weekly updates about the mutts, the humans are not to be forgotten.. We come from all walks of life, of different age groups, different background, stay at different parts of singapore but we gathered all at Pasir farmway 2 every weekend.

How did YOU spend you saturdays and sundays?
Weekends to the most of us are very precious (imagine waking up everyday at 6am from mon - fri and still waking up early in the morning on the weekends again as well! @.@) as we are holding a FT jobs, but we chose to sacrifice our time to rest or sleep till late afternoon, to enjoy high tea in town, or even go out for a nice movie, all because of one reason.

And we've come a long way. From strangers, to acquaintance, to friends, to people whom I see so regularly that they've become part of my life. We come together because of one word - DOGS, and yet along the way, we gained so much more than just volunteering and walking the dogs.

Without these humans, the dogs wouldnt have the chance to go out for weekly packwalk, wouldnt have seen the outside world, wouldnt have had the chance to swim, wouldnt have the chance to enjoy the sea breeze, wouldnt have the chance to roll on the grass and sand, wouldnt have learnt the basic commands, wouldnt have had so many treats, hugs and tender loving care )

Together we have conquered many places through the months, none of us would have thought that we could make it (especially me who hated walking!!!) :

1. We started out by just walking in the carpark

2.  The first bus stop at the main road
 


3. Pet movers
 MY BF!
4. Farmway 1 the morning "dog-pub"
5. Swimming pool

Minghui and her black-listed dog. Will explain why in the next post.
6. Lorong Halus
7. Pasir Ris beach

8. Pasir Ris Park

9. Api Api Route
*Pls see Api Api post :P*
Once in a while, we stayed back till late and spent whole of our sat and sun after the packwalk to spring clean and detox the kennels thoroughly, to build roofs, to install fans and paint the rusty fences,
just to ensure that the dogs can lead a better life in the shelter. 
Its definitely tiring, especially the after effect, when you reach home and you finally can rest, you realised your weekend is gone. T_T fml.

Who likes to kio sai? Im sure if given a chance, none of us will want to do it, but everything comes with a responsibility, and picking shit is one of it.
小黄金. This is consider small case, there are bigger, fuller, smellier ones!
Nice?

 





People around us(our friends, family, spouse or relatives) may not understand where we are coming from and why we are doing all these.
My dad wasnt really supportive of me going to the shelter weekly initially, he feels that I'm committing too much time for the dogs instead of the family, and complain that I'd rather clean the shelter than doing out the house chores (do you seriously think I will be so hardworking if im home? Of  course nua there and use computer only lah!), my friends call me malay girl after i become chao-tah due to the long hours under the sun. Now i am like 10 shades darker than my bf. Actually who doesnt like to be fair and pretty (apart from mh hehehe), I want too! But sunblock etc just doest work, and to me, walking the dogs are more important, so I... sucked it up and continue be abu nehneh.

Every week I get constant nagging from my parents: "you very black already leh.. stop going there.. later your face and complexion "spoil" then you regret",  or "why must you make yourself until so tired" or (most classic) "you rather bring the dogs out for walk than to bring your parents for walk" (YOU REALLY WANT ME TO BRING U OUT FOR WALK? LETS GO SHOPPING ! YOU PAY, I GO WAHAHA" - that one is not really needed, because i know they wont want to go out with me, they rather enjoy their adults company).
Yada yada. Luckily I have some of my relatives supportive of  me volunteering.
FINALLY GOT SOME PEOPLE TO STAND UP FOR ME,
and slowly my parents started to accept it.
 Well, we know what we are doing, and that we are all doing for a good cause, as long as Im not doing unethical things or wasting my life away, I will continue to do whatever I enjoy and believe in. So, dont try to persuade me not to go to the shelter :)

On a brighter note:

 Places we've been together without our dogs:
1. Torte Cafe for adoption drive

2. Jac's house for Minghui mini birthday celebration

3. NUS Symposium
4. Giant and "west mall" for lunch during the spring cleaning days
No pics because we are all too hungry, 100% focus on food only.

5.  JB!! KSL, NOAH'S ARK
Minghui dont kill me, I find this pic damn funny.
Forgot I kope from who already

6. Other shelter events
More to come... :D

So here we have, some of our more regular volunteers.
And without these wonderful people, I guess my shelter days wont be so awesome.
Some of you really need to take more pics leh, its damn hard to find your photos!!
Those who dont have 特写 on your face, dont be sad ok, I tried my best liao. <3

Here's our pack and human leader- Minghui.
Try googling her name and you will see it in my blog :/
(So I guess im the only one mentioning about her alot? LOL)

Here's Phoebe, one of the pioneer batch volly
This is Jac, the lady who helped Muddie and Handsome :)
Ning, the one who bravely protected our dogs and end up with super dua orh ceh. Applause for her pls.

Vivien, with her 2 weeks of Joy (Muddie)
Jia Hui, owner of cute Baby and sasha

Feng Yi, also super hard to kope your photos leh!

This is legendary No friend Lynn (NFL) with hazel
Paris Lynne. (to differentiate between the 2 lynns)

Marvin, who came on the first session as me.
Who still haven go and get a phone with whatsapp!!!!!


Yuan zhi, our youngest volly only 14yrs old,  now she needs to concentrate on her studies, but her heart is always with us...


This is Tricia


Chang Meng, Nicole's bf



Weijie and Sasha - the 2 "in the lost world" couple

Nikki, Nofriendlynn's sis


Richard who helps with lots of drilling.
WAH GILBERT! I TOTALLY CANT FIND A PROPER PIC OF U!
So... ice cream is here..

NFL and Ann aka Zhi An

 Up for adoption hong wee who doesnt read my blog + handsome

Joyce and Jac - the sisters! (Joyce, your picture super hard to find, no choice have to use this. Pls take more photos with our dogs next time!)

Ruiling, you also need to take more pics alr!!

I hope I didnt miss anyone out? Brain not really working.
*PICTURES CREDIT FROM FACEBOOK AND ALL THE AWESOME PEOPLE IN THIS BLOG*


Sometimes its not about which welfare group we belong to, be it volunteering for dogs, cats, rabbit, orphans, elderly or disabled, we ought to give everyone the basic respect.
Respect them for what they choose to do, even if you dont understand. 
I guess those who are volunteering will know how we feel :)



If you ask me have I ever regretted being a volunteer, HELL NO!
It's one of the best thing that happened in my life :D

2 comments:

  1. I think we do walk other dogs in addition to Handsome and Muddie. But the 2 seems to appear in like 80% of the photos. (-_-)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. U noe why? Because the only time when our vollies start to take pic with the dogs (Other than me, NF lynn and hongwee) is the day handsome gg for homestay.. So everyone gan cheong and take pic. Other than that damn hard to find sia..

    Well, I will make sure people take more photos with Guinness and chilli ahahaha!!

    ReplyDelete